How to Start A Blog: A Beginner’s Guide
Why Start a Blog?
There are many reasons to start blogging! Here are just a few of them:
- As a form of self-expression
- Have a source of side-income that is a low investment with a potential for high return (There are many bloggers who are making anywhere from $1000/month to being millionaires from blogging from affiliate marketing, displaying ads, promoting their own products and services, sponsored ads, and more – and you can start for as little as $3/month)
- Drive traffic to your website or business
- To help others
- Establish authority
- Build community and support
- You love writing
- You want to inspire others
- You want to make a difference and leave lasting impression.
1. Choose Your Blog Niche
Before you start your blog, it’s important to get an idea of what niche you want to belong to: What sort of blog do you want to create?
There are many different blog niches out there:
- Art & Design Blog
- Personal Growth Blog
- Food Blog
- Lifestyle Blog
- Outdoors Blog
- Interior Design Blog
- And so much more!
2. Brainstorm some Domain Names
My domain name is my actual name because aside from being a blogger, I am a painter and writer, and it’s customary to have my name as my website name. You can try this too if you want your name to be known as your brand.
If you want to create a more business-like website, I recommend creating a business name for your blog. Have it relate to your niche and make it a name that is fairly memorable.
Consider making your domain name flexible because you may slightly alter your niche in the future or even branch out.
3. What is the Best Website-Building Platform for Bloggers?
Here are just a few reasons why Bluehost is so awesome
- It’s super affordable: Plans start for as low as $3.95/month
- It comes with a FREE SSL Certificate: It’s important for your website to have an SSL certificate so that Chrome doesn’t block your site as potentially unsafe for your potential visitors.
- 1 FREE Domain Registration
- 1-Click easy WordPress installation
- Site Backup is available
- 24/7 Support via Chat, Email, Phone, and Tutorials
- 30 Day Money Back Guarantee
4. Set up WordPress Self-Hosting with Bluehost
When you go to BLUEHOST’S HOMEPAGE, you’ll see this page:
Next, Let’s pick a plan
If you’re just starting out, you may want to go with the BASIC $3.95/month plan.
If you’re super excited about starting your blogging journey and want to go all the way, the $5.95/month plan may be the best fit for you. Either way, all the plans are super affordable! (I am currently using their PLUS plan)
Next, Let’s set up your Domain Name
*Tip: Try sticking to a .com domain, as they are the easiest to remember.
Next, fill in your account information and go over your Bluehost package extras.
The extras I chose to activate for my site were SiteLock Security and Codeguard Basic.
Sitelock is going to give your site basic protection against spam and malware – If you would like to save money, there are plenty of security and spam protection plugins you can use for free once you have WordPress.
I also chose to get Codeguard Basic because it provides daily backups for your site automatically. I know when I first started up my site on WordPress I accidentally crashed it and this made it so easy to restore my site to the day before. There are also free plugins available for backing up your site – so don’t fret if you can’t afford it! I just personally like Codeguard Basic because they’ll do it all for you – Just tell them you want to restore your site and they’ll see what they can do to get it back up and running again as soon as possible.
Finish completing your purchase and create a password for your account.
After this, you should be all signed up for Bluehost. Log in to your Bluehost account and you can start installing WordPress!
Feel free to choose a free theme – You can change this later as your site is not live yet (Any visitors will be seeing a “Coming Soon” page).
Next, go to your Bluehost Dashboard and navigate towards the sidebar. Click My Sites. Then Log in to WordPress. You will find yourself on the WordPress dashboard where you can start working on building your site.
4. Start Building Your Website and Blog
BASIC THINGS TO WORK ON:Appearance > Theme > Choose a free theme or install one that you have purchased
Related Blog Post: How to Choose the Perfect WordPress Theme for YouAppearance > Customize > Customize your new theme (If you purchased one, make sure to follow the instructions they provide you) Page > Add New: Create any new pages you will need (Usually themes will come with a Home and Blog Page Template you can use, but you may want to create an About Me or Contact page.) Posts > Add New: Create blog posts this way. I recommend having 10-20 blog posts up on your site before you launch.
4. Launch Your Site
You website is now live to the world!
Tips for New Bloggers
Here are just a few tips for new bloggers starting out their blogging journey:
- Create amazing, in-depth content for your readers. Creating short, but many blog posts isn’t the way you want to go (Especially if you want to receive traffic from Google). I make sure to write at least 1000 words in each blog post. Most of my blog posts probably are around 1500-2500 words long. Google favors longer blog posts for their rankings, as this provides readers with more quality content so they stick around on your page longer.
- Write at least 30 blog posts. The more blog posts you have, the better.
- It takes time to build traffic. It takes around 6 months for Google to rank a new site. While you wait for that traffic to start climbing from Google, focus on building traffic through other means (Like Pinterest). Most bloggers quit after just a couple months of not seeing traffic – Don’t do this! It is completely normal to at first have nothing. Wait 6 months after you publish a post and you will see the traffic come.
- Blogging is a lot of work – Just like any job. But it’s fun to write what you love, it’s amazing how much help you can provide others, and you have so much freedom to be able to work for yourself and be able to see the return of what you have worked so hard on. It will be worth it!
- Don’t give up.
- Refine. Refine. Refine: Try new things. Research. And experiment. There is no one answer on how to blog successfully – That is the whole beauty of this journey. Anyone can make it.
I think the #1 reason people try blogging and quit is because they aren’t earning money quickly. I implore you to get that expectation out of your head. Blogging isn’t a hack to get-rich-quick, but if you are patient – Your blog can become like a sort of “Internet Real Estate” and it will grow with time.
The main reason I wrote this blog post is because I want people to find a different way of living: To stop trading time for money – Because there are much more important things we need to be spending our time here on Earth on than worrying about having enough money to live. And I believe that finding different streams of Passive Income is key to achieving this way of living.
I hope this blog post was able to inspire you to perhaps give blogging a try.
If you enjoyed this blog post, please give this blog post a like, comment, or share down below. I truly appreciate all of my readers.
I hope you have a wonderful day xx